Thursday, April 07, 2011

Chelan Butte Busted Open!



Five of us, Joe, Tim, Derek, Carson and myself decided to check out the Butte. We managed to drive up 2/3 the way up until snow stopped us from driving any further. No problem, start hiking, as we like to do in Central, WA. 25-30 mins and we top out with no one in sight except for the silence of the wind and sky enveloping us. It was windy and strong cycle were blowing up the Butte from the West when we got there. So we waited a bit and it seemed to switch to the SW as the forecast predicted. Then we got excited. Cycles were coming up strong but at least is was from a better direction between the rocks launch. Gearing up with the tension of the first big day out and strong spring air we started hucking off. Joe and Derek launched first and basically just took a pipe to cloudbase like it was a normal July day at the Butte. Next up, myself. Waiting for a giant cycle to fade before popping it up, I waited a bit longer and launched, straight up about 200ft climbing before the entire cycle faded out and I hit a wall of sink. Not good. At this point I watched as Derek and Joe headed out on glide somewhere towards the flats high and cold, while I grovelled below launch wondering when I had to bail to the LZ without bombing down below the Butte. Tim and Carson waited and watched and then decided to launch a ways after me since my scenario wasnt pretty. I headed out to the LZ and floated around there for awhile over the big soccer match. Tim and Carson looked to be going up and then going down a lot. I think we missed the window for the day since it had been getting thicker clouds. Eventually I landed with Tim and Carson not far after me. We watched as Derek flew out to the flats and then causually cruise back to the River where we were. Nice flight. Not really knowing where Joe went we saw a couple over airport ridge and figured one of them was Joe. We cruised back to his homestead and watched as he boated around the airport ridge for awhile. Thinking this was Joe, the airhog showing us what we missed, we headed out hungry for some tacos and home. Not until later on the way back to Wenatchee, Joe calls me and says hey where were you guys thinking we all spec'd out. He said Karen was picking him up past Bridgeport somehwere. We were dumbfounded thinking we saw him over the ridge for so long, but it wasnt him. He was on a nice little +50km flight up the Okanagon valley while we were eating tacos. Nice day, we were stoked somebody made it out there. Even though he froze his hands he pushed on through. Nice work Joe. Thats the Chelan Butte opener for you. High wild and lonesome in these parts, but thats the way we like it. Peace. SM

1 comment:

Joe Stermitz said...

69.1km dude! Whoda known! Too bad I was such a wimp...anyone else coulda made it to infinity and beyond!