Thursday, May 01, 2008

to little Bavaria...

First flight of the year off of Tibbitts Mountain above Cashmere, WA. Doug and I waited for anything to come up launch, since there was virtually no wind coming up the face. Finally getting off launch it was one quick 180 and then crank up in a fat thermal. Climbing and slightly drifting over to Blag Mountain where I hit cloudbase at 8500ft. Staying along the lift line was taking me in to the mountains so I followed this until I got to just North of Leavenworth about 12km out. Doug was low at Tumwater ridge and decided to land in Leavenworth, it was collllld! I came back over town and then with a bunch of altitude still decided to head back down valley to Cashmere. Drifting in and then hitting the headwind going back was much harder. Getting some strong valley lift worked for awhile and then finally pushing in to Peshashtin. Getting a nice little climb over the high school gave me enough to safely find something to land in other than a vineyard. I glided down into a grassy LZ right at Highway 97. Too much valley wind to make it all the way to Cashmere today. Awesome views on the flight with the Icicle Ridge, the Enchantment Massif and seeing all the way to Glacier Peak. Still loads of snow out there. SM
Photos!

No comments: